Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A new challenge

When I saw the One Small Change challenge on Hip Mountain Mama, I decided to start this blog and take part in the challenge. The challenge asks people to make one small change toward a greener lifestyle every month until Earth Day, and blog about it. Your changes could be as simple as replacing old lightbulbs with CFL bulbs, or as big as buying a hybrid vehicle. What will you choose?

A note about myself: I grew up in the country. My parents were hippies with a devotion to wilderness, growing food, and living a sustainable life. They passed a lot of those values onto me. I've spent most of my life in small villages or surrounded by acres of land that I could wander and plant how I wished. However, at the beginning of this year I moved into the inner city, for various reasons. So my personal challenge is to find ways to maintain my environmentalist lifestyle in this urban situation I find myself in. This blog will document my experiences.

So, my change for January will be food related. I'm pretty passionate about food. As my brother-in-law would say, I could talk about it for hours. I recently discovered the wonders of homemade bread, and it's my new favorite thing! So, choosing this month's change was easy. I am going to try cutting out processed foods, taking my own bags and carpooling to the grocery store. Good food is local, seasonal, and fresh food. I believe that your body and spirit receives more goodness from food that you have made yourself, and part of living sustainably is knowing where your food comes from.

Good luck to the many others taking part in this challenge, by doing this we can put a little more love back into the earth that's given us so much!

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you decided to join us! And congrats on the blog. I enjoyed reading a bit about your history and look forward to hearing how your first change goes!
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love homemade bread! I haven't found my bread-baking groove yet, but I will. Good luck with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i bet you'll have a lot to share in the future about all the things you've absorbed from your 'hippie' parents & country life...looking forward!

    ReplyDelete