Monday, January 18, 2010

My Small Part

I am jealous of some of the things that people are able to do to be more environmentally conscious. Using solar power, buying energy efficient appliances, starting a big garden and planting trees are some things that I cannot do. This is because I am a renter and not a homeowner. Until I am able to buy my own house, which won't happen anytime soon due to my student status and part-time job, some things are off-limits to me.

I won't be discouraged, though. These are some things that I do now:

1. I recycle. I am lucky to live in a city that comes and picks up your recycling right from the curb. Therefore, I consider it my duty to recycle everything I can (sometimes this involves picking through the trash to take out the cardboard and plastic my roommate throws away, another topic entirely)

2. I have a no-new plastic bag policy. This was my January commitment for the One Small Change campaign. I have a small stash of plastic bags and cloth bags that I bring every time I go shopping. I also recently found a pattern for pillowcase shopping bags online that I am planning on making, as soon as I get over to the thrift store for some pillowcases!

3. I compost what I can, although this is limited at the moment because a. I have no compost pile or barrel because I just moved into my house, and b. it is the middle of a frozen winter. It kills me to throw food scraps away! Luckily, my roommate just brought home a 5-gallon bucket which is currently sitting right outside our door waiting to be filled up.

4. I watch what I eat. This is 1/2 for environmental reasons and 1/2 for health/moral reasons. I try to eat vegetarian most of the time, because I believe the way that the meat industry in the US is run is immoral, disgusting and unhealthy. I eat fresh and local when I can and avoid processed or convenience food.

These things and others I consider my small part, and they are things that are doable for me, considering my situation. My hope is that everyone can find some small things that they can do to help the planet and each other to live a little brighter.


This picture of my nephew enjoying fresh yummy peaches cheered me up in the midst of winter's chill. Something to look forward to!

1 comment:

  1. awesome! i am a homeowner, but am still envious of those things. due to our urban setting, small plot, and money, we have not yet been able to do some of those things, either, but we certainly do what we can, also. thank you for the pillowcase link. i love making things from pillowcases and need to make more produce sacks. i have plenty of cloth shopping bags and have always used those, but need more sacks to hold grains and things.
    welcome to the blogging world and good luck with your one small change!
    nicola
    http://whichname.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete