Monday, March 1, 2010

February Small Change

My small change for February was to make homemade bodycare products. It didn’t exactly work out how I’d planned. The first thing I tried to make was deodorant. It was fun mixing up the product, but I was less than pleased with the results. The first day I wore it, by the afternoon I could smell myself! and was embarrassed to go to work so smelly. So I ended up trying 2 different kinds of all natural store bought deodorant. I settled on Tom’s of Maine, it works okay although I do have to reapply it a couple of times a day. So my searching in that area is not done yet. I would like to find an antiperspirant that is all natural, but have had no luck yet. If anyone knows of one please tell me!

The second issue I had with making my own body products is that I had to buy most of my ingredients in plastic bottles. For the deodorant alone I brought home 5 new plastic bottles. Since one of the main reasons I was doing this was to reduce the amount of plastic in my home, it seemed counter-productive. Neither was it very cost effective.


Buying plastic to get rid of plastic?

The one thing I did make that I was happy with was shampoo. Even though, I still had to buy a big plastic bottle of castile soap, which to me defeated the purpose.

So, I’ve learned a lesson. I would still like to make my own lotion someday, but only if I can find the ingredients I need in non-plastic containers. Also, there are good natural bodycare products on the market that will satisfy my desire to live a natural life.

Moving on to March…I am really excited about this month’s change. I’ve recently bought a 50’s era bicycle that needs to be fixed up. Once summer hits I plan on riding it to work every day. So this month’s pledge is to ride my bike to work at least 3 times a week (This leaves some leeway in case of rain, snow, lateness, etc). This will be good for my health and great for the environment.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Emma - your bike looks fun to ride if only for the wonderful green color. I too have struggled with how to go 'green' with body products. I've tried many of the so-called natural products, but I'm not having success with having them work as desired. Corporate America doesn't tolerate, uh, natural odors very well. Good luck on your search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gotta love those dang road blocks. Plastic is so hard to rid! I have a friend who switched to just using baking soda on her hair for shampoo and she loves it...I have yet to try it, but I am very excited to give it a whirl. For deodorant I have been using a deodorant stone, which works pretty good.
    And, I LOVE that bike!
    Feel free to stop by any time this month and let us know how it is going!
    http://1smallchangeblog.blogspot.com/
    ~Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just smile every time I see that photo of that great bike! I hope you are having an awesome March so far!

    Make sure to stop by the One Small Change blog to enter into our latest giveaway and see what the community is up to!
    http://1smallchangeblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/giveaway-reusable-produce-bags.html

    We also started a face book fan page which can be accessed from the blog! :)

    Thanks!
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bicycle is *fantastic*! What a great find!

    ReplyDelete